Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Benny Barsel




When I returned home from my father's funeral, I googled his name to see if any information came up that I had been unaware of. I had little success in entering his adult names--Ben and Benjamin Barsel. But then I did a search using the name he went by as a boy and young man--Benny Barsel. And up came a tremendous surprise--a photo of him from his high school year book and the earliest one of him I'd seen.

I learned he'd gone to the Woodrow Wilson High School in Portsmouth, Virginia and that he graduated from there in 1931. Thankfully, a more recent graduate from that same school has put excellent archival material on the web.

Here's the link to the web site: http://www.wwhsalumni.com/1931_roster_pg1.html.


Because the image of my father on the school site was somewhat blurred, I decided to work with it in Photoshop to enhance it for myself. The most successful photo I came up with is the one at the beginning of this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment