Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Remembering My Father



This is a photograph of my father, Benjamin Barsel, in his 60s when he lived and worked in St. John, US Virgin Islands.

My father died on March 21, 2007. He was 91 years old. Ben was born in the spring of 1915. He did not know the exact date and later created May 1 as his observed birthday. He was born in what is now called Israel, but what was then Palestine.

He was a private man who, in general, spoke little about his life in words, but who had a strong felt presence.

Ben is survived by:
  • His spouse for over 61 years, Bernice Barsel

  • His son and daughter-in-law, Paraman and Lakshmi Barsel

  • His daughter and son-in-law, myself--Lily S. May--and Michael C. Greene
  • His sister, Thelma Edelstein, and her family--including his nieces Sylvia Nissenboim and Ruth Edelstein.
Ben was living in Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S.A. at the time of his death. When we children were growing up, we lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the U.S. It was in 1969 that my parents moved to St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands where they lived and worked for, I believe, 16 years.
Ben Barsel was a certified public accountant who worked at his profession until he was 87. He had a strong interest in history and society, enjoyed reading and chess and loved great food.
During the last few years of his life I learned about some of his experiences as a medic in World War II and recently have learned something about his early life that I'll write about in this blog.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking through old wanted posters and saw a card mailed nation-wide about Benny Barsel. I'm guessing he wanted to join the Navy before his 18th birthday and lied about his age to get it. He was reported Missing by his father and the Chief of Police, James Talbot, of Portsmouth, Va. used his high school photo in the flier. If he was a Navy medic I'll bet he was attached to the Marines. I had an uncle who was a Navy medic...tough life. Real heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment. I don't know if my father was ever a navy medic. But then, there's a great deal I don't know about his life. If you think of anything else you can tell me--for example where and when you saw the wanted poster for him--I'd be very glad to hear from you. All the best to you.

      Delete